- One crushed bay leaf
- One tsp fennel seeds
- Half tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- One 1/2 lbs halved fingerling potatoes
- Half cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- Four tbsp olive oil, divided in half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Four chicken legs
- Half cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, use the stems
- One teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
1. Turn oven on at 450°.
2. Using food processor or spice mill, pulse the bay leaf, fennel seeds, and half teaspoon red pepper flakes until finely grounded.
3. In large bowl, toss the potatoes together with the olives, two tablespoons olive oil, and half of the spice mixture then season with pepper and salt.
4. Put chicken on baking sheet with a rim and rub the rest with rest of olive oil then season with pepper & salt and spice mixture.
5. Spread the potato mixture all around the chicken pieces and bake until potatoes are tender, using fork for testing, and the chicken is thoroughly cooked and has crisp skin.
6. Top the chicken & potato mixture with the lemon zest, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Drizzle pan juices over it and serve.